Sunday, March 9, 2014
- The Cardinals signed free agent Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz to a major-league contract today and said he will report to the team's spring training facility in Jupiter, Fla. on Monday. Diaz had worked out for the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago.
- The Blues got goals from David Backes and Patrik Berglund while Ryan Miller stopped 26 of 27 Colorado shots to beat the Avalanche 2-1 Saturday in Colorado for their fourth consecutive victory. The team will conclude a three-game road trip tonight in Minnesota.
- The Saint Louis University Billikens will try to snap a three-game losing streak today in their final game before the Atlantic 10 conference tournament when they play at the University of Massachusetts. The Billikens need a win to clinch the outright conference regular-season title.
- Missouri saw its hopes for an NCAA tournament bid take a hit on Saturday with a 72-45 loss at Tennessee. The Tigers scored only 19 points in the first half in their final game before the SEC tournament next week.
- Undefeated Wichita State will play Indiana State today for the championship of the Missouri Valley tournament at Scottrade Center.